nicstar

Nic Starr

Nic Starr lives in Australia where she tries to squeeze as much into her busy life as possible. Balancing the demands of a corporate career with raising a family and writing can be challenging but she wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Always a reader, the lure of m/m romance was strong and she devoured hundreds of wonderful m/m romance books before eventually realising she had some stories of her own that needed to be told!

When not writing or reading, she loves to spend time with her family–an understanding husband and two beautiful daughters–and is often found indulging in her love of cooking and planning her dream home in the country.

Sign up to Nic's Newsletter and receive a FREE ebook.

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
S.J.D. Peterson, Eric Arvin, Abigail Roux, T.J. Klune, S.A. McAuley, Jason Huffman-Black
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey

Author: Jordan L. Hawk

Narrator: Julian G Simmons

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

The Blurb...

Some things should stay buried. Repressed scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne has two skills: reading dead languages and hiding in his office at the Ladysmith Museum. After the tragic death of the friend he secretly loved, he’s ruthlessly suppressed any desire for another man. So when handsome ex-Pinkerton Griffin Flaherty approaches him to translate a mysterious book, Whyborne wants to finish the job and get rid of the detective as quickly as possible.

Griffin left the Pinkertons following the death of his partner, hoping to start a new life. But the powerful cult which murdered Glenn has taken root in Widdershins, and only the spells in the book can stop them. Spells the intellectual Whyborne doesn’t believe are real.

As the investigation draws the two men closer, Griffin’s rakish charm threatens to shatter Whyborne’s iron control. When the cult resurrects an evil sorcerer who commands terrifying monsters, can Whyborne overcome his fear and learn to trust? Will Griffin let go of his past and risk falling in love? Or will Griffin’s secrets cost Whyborne both his heart and his life?

So what did I think?

This is another book that I listened to via the Audible version. I have not read this book previously so the narration was my first experience of the story. I'm going to make a claim without really being able to back this up - the audio version was brilliant and really enhanced my enjoyment of this story! Okay, I don't really know if I would have enjoyed it any less if I had read it but I totally adored the narration of this book.

The characters were totally wonderful and I fell in love with both Whyborne and Griffin. Outwardly Whyborne was so unsure of himself, shy and unassertive, totally lacking self confidence but in reality he was a wonderfully strong man - standing on his own, following his own path in life and supporting himself rather than relying on his well-to-do father. Griffin appears strong and confident but has his own demons and inner torment. Together they are fabulous.

I am not a huge fan of historical romances and only read a smattering in the paranormal genre so was surprised by how much I liked this book. The style of writing, the speech and the behaviour of all the characters seemed to capture the era perfectly. I particularly liked the formality of interactions between work colleagues and the totally fabulous Christine!

The story was full of mystery, intrigue and horror as Whyborne and Griffin team up to stop the resurrection of wonderfully descriptive evil monsters. They follow clues, deal with Whyborne's colleagues at the museum, fight off half-human-half-animal creatures, all while their attraction for each other grows.

Julian G Simmons captured the essence of Whyborne perfectly. The soft spoken quality of his voice, his tone and inflections matched the character of Whyborne and was totally in keeping with the period of the story. I can highly recommended the audio version!

Widdershins

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

To find out more about Jordan L. Hawk and her books visit her website.

Buy Widdershins from Amazon