nicstar

Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey

A Daring Ride by Andrew Grey

A Daring Ride (The Bullriders) - Andrew Grey

A Daring Ride
by Andrew Grey

The Blurb...

Simon “Frizz” Frizzell sneaks away to the rodeo on weekends, and it’s not until after he wins a buckle that he tells his parents about his bull-riding. He knows they won’t approve of his choice of sport, but his parents own a Christian bookstore, and he couldn’t possibly tell them the whole truth: he’s gay. And so are some of his rodeo friends, like Dante and Ryan, and Jacky—a young man he wishes could have been more than a one-night stand. When Simon sets his sights on his dreams, he finds work with Dante and Ryan, and bumps into Jacky on the job.

Jacky Douglas is a rodeo fanatic, plain and simple. He loves the ride, and he loves the cowboys. He fell hard for Frizz when they met, and theirs was a one-night stand made in heaven. When they meet again, Jacky thinks it’s a stroke of luck. Frizz takes some convincing, but once he’s on board, they begin a relationship. The fledgling romance faces a challenge when news of it travels all the way to the one place Frizz doesn’t want it to go: his parents’ bookstore.

So what did I think?

This was a nice follow on story from A Wild Ride, introducing Simon (Frizz) and his relationship with Jacky, but also providing a glimpse into the life of Dante and Ryan.

The plot is fairly simple as Jacky, rodeo fan-boy, has a one-night stand with Frizz who has secretly entered the rodeo. Of course the one night becomes more as they meet up again when Frizz takes a job with Dante and Ryan. Together they face Simon's coming out and acceptance of his own sexuality.

Frizz's parents are not accepting of his desire to ride in the rodeo and it takes a lot of convincing for them to agree to him completing and moving away to train under Dante. As the owner's of a large Christian bookstore they are even less accepting of his sexuality.

The story mixes rodeo action with the developing relationship between Frizz and Jacky. As a couple they are very sweet and supportive with lots of feelings being expressed. There's lots of sex/'making love' with quite a romantic and poetic quality to it."They made love to the rhythm of the storm...."... "Nature seemed to be echoing their passion, and as Jacky reached his peak, thunder cracked and rolled, carrying their cries of passion towards the heavens."

I liked the sweet and mushy stuff (I'm usually in the mood for this when I pick up an Andrew Grey) and I enjoyed the happy ending. I was a bit over Simon agonizing about his situation and was glad when Simon himself realised he needed to get on with this life. "I know everyone must be getting tired of me running on about this all the time." Simon turned to Jacky. "Frankly, I'm tired of it too...." Thank goodness!

The only other feedback is in relation to the use of Simon/Frizz's name. Frizz is Simon's nickname and his rodeo persona. At the beginning of the story (chapters 1 and 2) he is referred to as Simon although the nickname Frizz is used sometimes in conversation. In chapter 3, Simon isn't used at all and he is only referred to as Frizz in both narration and conversation. In chapter four, he'd gone back to being referred to as Simon, chapter five back to Frizz. I found it a bit confusing, even when he finally asked Jacky to call him "Simon", not using his Frizz bull-rider name. Anyway, maybe it was just me but I found this to-and-froing quite noticeable.

All-in-all, this story was exactly as I expected and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon!

I now publish all my m/m reviews on my blog so if you want to see all my m/m reviews in one place come visit at Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

To find out more about Andrew Grey and his books visit his website.

Buy A Daring Ride from Amazon.

Buy A Daring Ride from Dreamspinner Press.

Source: http://wp.me/p3t48J-lK