nicstar

Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey
Moral Authority - Jacob Z. Flores The blurb does not do justice to this intense and engrossing story. It gives no indication of the harrowing and intense journey that is the fight against the Moral Authority.Set in the future, the United States is ruled by the Moral Authority. Society is now bound by rules which dictate acceptable behaviour and enforce punishment on those that do not abide by them. Moral police are on patrol everywhere and the concept of freedom and free speech no longer exists. Homosexuality is illegal.The story follows Mark, a young gay college student, who is entrapped by the Moral Authority and sent to a detainment camp. The experiences at the camp are told in graphic detail as the detainees are kept in horrific conditions and treated appallingly. This is a world of torture and death.The obvious comparison of the world presented in this book is to the Nazi concentration camps. In reading this book be prepared for this type of environment. Much of the book shows brutality in the appalling treatment of people.The book is intense. It paints a grim picture of a world gone too far, where behaviors are controlled to the extreme. The book provides detail of the political landscape - the President, the Moral Authority and the Human Rights Campaign. The HRC are an underground movement of people preparing to fight for what is right and give people back their freedom. I was a little concerned that this book would just be a strong political statement but it does not come across like that. There is mystery and drama, twists and turns, and characters that invite you on their journey.There is hope. Mark and the friends he makes refuse to give in to their captors, remaining strong in spirit. The Human Rights Campaign is full of good people fighting the cause. There is also love, a love that Mark finds during this very dark time in his life.This book is a powerful story, an intense and compelling read. It was very difficult to put down. There is definitely no happy ending for Mark in this story. There is perhaps hope for the future but the ending is abrupt and leaves so many questions unanswered. I felt a sense of shock to reach the end, with an outcome I was not hoping for and desperate to find out the conclusion to the war, answer some questions about certain characters and find out what happens next for Caleb, Aaron, Isaac and Gabe. If there was a sequel I would be starting it right now!Once again, just to repeat, this book does NOT have a happy ending.This book was kindly provided by the publisher for an honest review - and I am so glad it was as I don't think I would have chosen to read this book based on the blurb alone.