nicstar

Nic Starr

Nic Starr lives in Australia where she tries to squeeze as much into her busy life as possible. Balancing the demands of a corporate career with raising a family and writing can be challenging but she wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Always a reader, the lure of m/m romance was strong and she devoured hundreds of wonderful m/m romance books before eventually realising she had some stories of her own that needed to be told!

When not writing or reading, she loves to spend time with her family–an understanding husband and two beautiful daughters–and is often found indulging in her love of cooking and planning her dream home in the country.

Sign up to Nic's Newsletter and receive a FREE ebook.

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
S.J.D. Peterson, Eric Arvin, Abigail Roux, T.J. Klune, S.A. McAuley, Jason Huffman-Black
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey

Chasing the Sun by Jacob Z. Flores

Chasing the Sun - Jacob Z. Flores

The Provincetown Series:

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

The blurb...

As a physician and prominent citizen of Victoria, Texas, Dr. Gil Kelly took a hard fall when his vengeful wife revealed his infidelity with other men. Closing ranks around her, the town’s elite ostracized him, and his relationship with his children was nearly destroyed. After spending his life focused on living for others, he has no idea how to live for himself. He wants to find love but now settles for anonymous sex that only further clouds his world with shame and guilt.

Gil believes finding true love is an unobtainable dream, what his father used to call “chasing the sun.” Then he runs into Tom Martinez, his son’s childhood best friend, who returned to town a grown man and offers everything Gil needs. But Gil hesitates to fall into Tom’s arms, because after his high-profile divorce, the potential scandal of loving a younger man could separate him from his children permanently.

So what did I think?

I struggled a little bit rating this book. I think it was because my expectations were so very, very high based on the first book, when Love Takes Over.  This book was very different, enjoyable but maybe not to the level of it's predecessor.

The best thing about this story was that it involved an older man. I love to read stories of people finding love later in life and people finding love after making changes in their lives. This is the case with Gil, who comes out after years of marriage. He has two children (including Zach from the first book)and needs to face the prospect of letting them know he has a boyfriend - Zach's childhood friend Tom.

Gil hadn't felt comfortable with his old group of friends since his separation from his wife, he is concerned about his kids and he is worried about the huge age gap between him and Tom. Tom has no hesitation and knows that Gil is the man for him, after having pined for him for years and waiting for the right moment to strike up a relationship.

It's a nice story, dealing with some very real issues. I wanted Gil and Tom to be happy and liked the moments they were honest with each other and of course, the public declarations. However, I didn't really like the small presence of Zach and Van in the story. They didn't feel like the same characters from the first book so I felt slightly disappointed.

Was it also a little strange that the series is called Provincetown but the book was set elsewhere?

It gets a couple of extra points for romance too - I could just picture Gil and Tom dancing to Anne Murray's "Could I Have This Dance?"

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅