nicstar

Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey

Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1)

Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1) - Rhys Ford I really wanted to love this book as per all the glowing reviews I read however, although an interesting story, this one stayed at 3 stars for me. On the positive side, the murder suspense elements of the plot were good and there was a range of interesting characters. The dog's name was also brilliant!The author builds a strong picture of each of the main characters. Miki, the fragile and abused man who has experienced highs but more lows in his life and Kane, the tough Irish Catholic cop. But for me, the characters were almost too stereotyped. The writing was a bit overly flowery with relatively long and repetitive sections/descriptions which detracted from the flow of the story. Some of the descriptions when Miki and Kane are having sex also seem a bit forced. There were also a few sentences that seemed an odd way of expressing things such as "Their kiss was hard, packed with a sweetness Kane could taste down his spine." Taste down his spine?However there were also some lovely lines. "I taught my sons to be men. I don't care who they love. I care about how they act. The moment they stop having manners or treat someone poorly, then we'll have words. Other than that, I only want them to be happy, and if you make Kane happy, then all I have to say to ye is welcome to the family."The naming of the book also intrigued me. The book title is the name of Miki's band but in reality the fact that he was a rock star was almost incidental to the story. The abuse Miki suffered was referenced frequently in the book and it was positive to see how mindful Kane was about acknowledging this and wanting to see Miki healed. It would have been good to see the story follow this through and outline how Miki was dealing through his emotional issues.On a final note, the last chapter was a brilliant hook with an intriguing twist that ensured I do want to read any follow up book!