nicstar

Nic Starr

Nic Starr lives in Australia where she tries to squeeze as much into her busy life as possible. Balancing the demands of a corporate career with raising a family and writing can be challenging but she wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Always a reader, the lure of m/m romance was strong and she devoured hundreds of wonderful m/m romance books before eventually realising she had some stories of her own that needed to be told!

When not writing or reading, she loves to spend time with her family–an understanding husband and two beautiful daughters–and is often found indulging in her love of cooking and planning her dream home in the country.

Sign up to Nic's Newsletter and receive a FREE ebook.

One True Thing
Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea
Sweet Delight
Lynn Hagen
It Should Have Been You
Michael Murphy
The Prisoner (Broken, #1)
Kol Anderson
Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
S.J.D. Peterson, Eric Arvin, Abigail Roux, T.J. Klune, S.A. McAuley, Jason Huffman-Black
Man, Oh Man! Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
Josh Lanyon
Artistic Appeal (Bottled Up, #6)
Andrew Grey

Grime and Punishment (The Brothers Grime)

The Brothers Grime: Jack - Z.A. Maxfield The first 20% of this book had me a bit confused, introducing characters at a rapid rate and delving into the world of crime scene clean up. But as Jack's company's logo says "Life is not a fairytale." I guess I was a little surprised at the depth of information provided (not for the squeamish but if you can stand watching CSI you should be ok!). By this point of the book I would also expect to have a clear understanding of the two main characters and started to see them interacting. However at this point, Jack is having casual hook-ups with his in-the-closet cop friend Dave and Ryan isn't very much in the picture.Jack is part-owner of the clean-up company and the plot revolves around him gaining closure by personally cleaning up the scene of his ex-boyfriend's suicide. The ex happens to be Ryan's cousin and the deed occurred in Ryan's home. Ryan also wants closure by assisting in the cleanup. I must say this all seemed a bit odd but anyway, it got Jack and Ryan together.Jack has been severely hurt in the past, both emotionally and physically. He still bears scars and has never allowed himself to trust and have a proper relationship. Ryan seems to attract people who need help, such as his cousin Nick. They both need to overcome their issues if they are to have their happy ending.One of the big problems is concern(mainly by Jack's friends) that Jack's attraction to Ryan is based on his likeness to Nick. Luckily this is not a problem for Jack who clearly sees Ryan as his own man. "Ryan was so like Nick. Yet...they were as individual as snowflakes.". He just needs to convince Ryan of this. "He was going to have to prove it was Ryan's heart, and not his face, that mattered." There is a lovely explanation from Jack to Ryan, acknowledging that he does have a physical type and Ryan fits the bill, just like Nick did. This seems so logical.This book had wonderful characters including a cute cat, and although filled with gory crime scenes, contained lots of humour. The only downsides were minor - I didn't understand what attracted Ryan to Jack, it was maybe a bit too insta-love and I wanted to know more about Dave's background to understand him better.My favourite line is from Ryan "....and today's episode will be the one where the openly gay cousin that got disowned but still inherited all the family's old money comes to his drug-addict cousin's suicide funeral with the boy the dead cousin nearly got arrested for assaulting as he plus one."